Contact Information

Defiance County Auditor
500 Second Street, Suite 301
Defiance, Ohio 43512

Jill R. Little, Auditor

Office Directory

Accounting (419) 782-5311
Board of Revision (419) 784-3111
CAUV (419) 784-3111
Licenses (419) 782-1926
Estate Tax (419) 782-1926
Homesteads (419) 782-1926
Manufactured Homes (419) 782-1926
Map Room (419) 784-3111
Personal Property (419) 782-1926
Real Estate (419) 784-3111

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:30 AM to 4:30 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are deeds transferred?
Deeds are transferred in the Auditor’s office after they have had the legal description approved by the Engineers office.

If I think I did not receive the right amount of fuel for my vehicle, what do I do?
You may call the Auditor’s office to report the problem. The station and the pump will then be checked. We cannot check the quality of the fuel at this time.

Do I need a permit to move my mobile/manufactured home? Do I have to register my mobile/manufactured home? Do I pay taxes?
Yes, a new law passed in 2000 requires a permit to move a mobile or manufactured home. The cost is $5.00 and is purchased in our office. Failure to purchase the permit will result in a $100 fine for both the MH owner and the mover. All manufactured/mobile homes must be registered within 30 days of placement in our county. The MH taxes are similar to real estate taxes.

When do I purchase my dog’s license? At what age is the dog license necessary?
All dogs at least 3 months old must be registered by January 31st of each year. All dogs new to the county must be licensed within 30 days of residency. Renewal applications are mailed each year the last week of November. The cost is $20.00 per license. The late fee is also $20.00 per Ohio law. Applications may be printed from our website or you may call our office at 419-782-1926, or 1-800-675-3953.

Where do I purchase a vendor’s license?
Vendor's licenses allow a retailer to collect sales tax. It is not a license to use to avoid paying sales tax. The application is available on our website and in our office. The application fee is $25.00.

How do I qualify for the owner occupancy tax reduction?
All residents who live in the house they own may apply for the owner occupancy reduction of real estate taxes. If you own more than one home, you may only apply for your main residence. The application is on our website or you may call our office for the form at (419) 784-3111 or 1-800-675-3953.

What is the Homestead Exemption and do I qualify?
If you are at least 65 years of age or totally disabled you may qualify for a reduction on your real estate taxes. You may call (419) 782-1926 or 1-800-675-3953 to request a form or print it off our website.

Where do I pay an estate tax?
Estate tax returns are to be filed in the Probate Court Office within 9 months from the date of death. Checks are to be made payable to the Defiance County Treasurer.

Where do I obtain my cigarette license?
Cigarette licenses are obtained in the Auditor’s office each year in May at a cost of $125.00.

What is CAUV and do I qualify? What is an Ag District?
CAUV stands for Current Agricultural Use Value and active farms may qualify for the reduction in value. If an agricultural property is eligible for enrollment in the Current Agricultural Use Value (CAUV) Program, its taxable value will be decreased according to the State’s valuation table. Properties are appraised based on production rates calculated by the State of Ohio, not on the land’s market value.

To be eligible, properties must be devoted to commercial agricultural use. You must have crops, animals, and/or commercial timber on at least 10 acres, or 11 acres with home site. You may have someone else farm your property. If you have less than 10 acres, or 11 acres with a home-site the properties must have the potential for producing an average yearly gross income, from agricultural production, of at least $2,500. The actual reduction in value is dependent upon the property’s soil type, region, slope and erosion factors.

You may file an initial CAUV application in the County Auditor’s office between the first Monday in January and the first Monday in March. The application is available on our website or you may call our office at 419-784-3111 or 1-800-675-3953 to obtain the form. There is a one-time $25.00 initial filing fee. You must renew the application every year; there is no fee for the yearly renewal.

Failure to renew your application will result in the loss of the value reduction and may result in recoupment of the previous three years of tax savings.

How do I find out if someone owns real estate, or what the market value is of my real estate in Defiance County?
You can click on the real estate search link at the main Auditor’s page and search by owner name, address, or parcel number or, you may call our office at 1-800-675-3953 or (419) 784-3111.

Defiance County prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation or political beliefs. Defiance County is also an equal opportunity employer.

Site Developed by Theano Point.