Marriage License Information
Marriage license applications are completed at the Defiance County Probate Court located on the third floor of the Defiance County Courthouse in Defiance, Ohio. Defiance County Probate Court’s hours for accepting marriage license applications are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The office is closed on legal holidays.
- Residency Requirement:
- If you are an Ohio resident, you must apply for your marriage license in the county in which one of you resides. You are then able to be married anywhere in the State of Ohio.
- If both applicants are out-of-state residents and wish to apply in Defiance County, the marriage must occur in Defiance County.
- Eligibility and Required Documents:
- Both applicants must be 18 or older. (Otherwise, special rules for juveniles apply. Call Probate Court for more information – 419-782-4181)
- Each applicant must have a government issued photo ID (i.e. Driver’s License, State ID, Passport, Visa, etc.).
- Each applicant must have a birth certificate (a copy is acceptable). If the birth certificate is in a foreign language, it must be translated into English and notarized.
- If you have had a legal name change, you will need to bring a copy of the appropriate judgment entry.
- Both applicants must bring their Social Security Cards.
- If one or both applicants have been previously married, you must bring a copy of the most recent final divorce, dissolution, or annulment decree. These entries must have the Court’s file stamp and Judge’s signature.
- If either applicant is a widow or widower we do not require a death certificate.
- The applicants must get married within sixty (60) days of our issuing the license. While there is no blood testing or waiting period, the license does expire sixty (60) days after issuance.
- The person officiating the ceremony must be licensed through the State of Ohio to solemnize the marriage. At the parties request, the person officiating the ceremony shall produce for inspection the minister’s license to solemnize marriages.
- The couple must swear, or affirm, that all information and testimony provided is true, correct, and complete.
- The couple must sign their full name (including middle name) on the actual Marriage License.
- The cost of the marriage license is $40.00 if paid by cash or check. The Court accepts MasterCard, American Express, Discover and VISA, however an additional $3.95 convenience fee will be assessed.
- After the couple is married, and the person who performed the ceremony has returned the certificate back to the court, the couple will probably need a certified copy of their marriage license to change the bride’s name with the Social Security Office and the Driver’s License Bureau. The cost of a certified copy of the marriage license is $3.00 per certified copy.