Thursday, April 20, 2017
The Board of Defiance County Commissioners met in regular session at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, April 20, 2017 in the Commissioners’ Session Room at 500 Court Street, Defiance, Ohio 43512. Commissioner Ryan Mack called the meeting to order. Also present were Commissioners Gary Plotts and Mick Pocratsky, Sherry Carnahan, Finance Manager/Administrator, and Stephanie Metz, Clerk.
The Commissioners met in General Session and approved and signed various resolutions, contracts and documents. The Commissioners also reviewed the calendar of events and discussed upcoming meetings.
Based on the recommendation of Warren Schlatter, Defiance County Engineer, the 2017 Cement Stabilization Project was awarded to Tenmile Creek Excavating, LLC. in the amount bid by them of $158,116.60.
The Commissioners approved the contract with Aero-Mark, Inc. for the 2017 Pavement Marking Project.
The Commissioners also approved the contracts with Ward Construction Co.; R.G. Zachrich, Inc.; and Gerken Paving, Inc., for the 2017 Paving of Various Roads Projects. Included in this project, the Commissioners committed to repaving the parking lot at the EMA Building and paving the parking area at the Animal Shelter.
Deb Geiser and Shauna Leupp, Activate Healthcare, and Ken Keller, First Insurance Group, met with the Commissioners to provide an update on the Activate Clinic.
Randy Vogel, Defiance County Dog Warden, met with the Commissioners to provide a monthly update. Randy reported investigating 99 complaints in March, which resulted in 12 dogs taken to the shelter, 10 warnings written, and 36 citations written. There were 3,998 miles driven and $608.46 received in Municipal Court fines.
Tina Hiler, Defiance County Senior Services’ Director, met with the Commissioners to provide a monthly update. Tina reported that during the first quarter of 2017, 22,270 meals and 2,500 transports were provided. She also reported that May is Senior Citizen’s Month; there are the following events planned in May:
· A special Inspire Me program on May 5th — "What my children have taught me";
· Bus Trip to the Holland Tulip Festival —May 8th;
· The "For The Health Of It" Information Fair is Tuesday, May 9th, from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. This event is sponsored by Genesis — Twin Rivers, Great Lakes Caring and Defiance County Senior Services. Over 36 community agencies and businesses will be in attendance. Instead of lunch, they are "feasting through the facilities" for visitors to enjoy tasty samples from Brookview, Genesis Twin Rivers, Hickory Creek, Kingsbury Place and The Laurels.
· The seniors from the Hicksville Senior Center are invited to a brunch on Friday, May 12th at the Hicksville Exempted Village Schools.
· The Senior Prom, annual dance and dinner, is at the Defiance Eagles on Wednesday, May 17th beginning at 5:00pm. The ladies and gentlemen at the Hicksville Senior Center will be treated to some extra pampering with makeovers and glamour shots for this event.
Connie Bostelman, Defiance County Child Support Enforcement Director, met with the Commissioners to provide a quarterly update. Connie reported the following occurred in the first quarter of 2017: 11 genetic testings, 124 administrative and/or court hearings; 57 obligors submitted to credit reporting agencies, 71 paternities established, and 69 support orders established.
Release Approved: ____________________________________________________
Ryan Mack, Defiance County Commissioner