Defiance County Seal and Logo

Dog Warden

Please notify the Dog Warden at (419) 784-2335 to report dogs running at large.

Please remember that pet ownership is a big commitment. Dogs should have fresh water available at all times and be fed and exercised on a regular schedule. Your dog will be happier if he becomes a part of the family by living indoors. If dogs are kept outdoors, they require shade in the summer, adequate shelter, and warm bedding in the winter. Dogs should never be left alone in a car in hot weather or even in warm sunny weather. The temperature inside a vehicle can build up in just a few minutes and can result in overheating and death.

The County Dog Warden picks up dead dogs for disposal and takes them to the Shelter. There will be a $40.00 fee involved.

Wild animals (raccoons, opossums, etc.) are better handled by the a State Wildlife Officer, call the District Office in Findlay 419-424-5000, and they will arrange for a Wildlife Officer to contact you, or you can call a nuisance animal trapper.

Frequently Asked Questions

What to do about dog bites?
The Ohio Revised Code states all bites must be reported to the Defiance County Health Department within 24 hours.

What do I do if my dog is missing?
Contact the Defiance County Dog Warden's office (419.784.2335) to report your dog missing. It may help with identification if you have a record of your dogs tag number. You might also call the Fort Defiance Humane Society (419.658.2298) to see if any dogs matching your dog's description have been found.

What should I do if I find a lost dog?
It helps the Dog Warden if you can confine the dog until he arrives to pick it up. If you can't confine the dog, or if the dog is not friendly, call the office with a description and location of the dog.

What happens if my dog is picked up by the Dog Warden?
As long as your dog has not bitten anyone while it was running at large, the dog can be reclaimed at the Fort Defiance Humane Society the same day for a fee of $80.00 and $25.00 for each additional day.